How accurate are those numbers really?
I’m not saying this isn’t a tragedy and that there aren’t real people suffering in a terrible war, but if someone is claiming false info as propaganda its ok to point it out.
(1) Palestinian authorities were duplicating names on the list – BBC, CNN and Al-Jazeera didn’t even bother to check the list before citing figures released by the – Hamas controlled – Palestinian Health Authority.
(2) “85% of them male. “In fact,” he wrote, “more than two-thirds of the fatalities are males aged 18 to 60, despite the fact that they represent around 20% of Gaza’s population.”
(3) Here is what social media guidelines issued to Gazans by the Hamas Interior Ministry, and translated by the Middle East Media Research Institute (MEMRI), have to say on the subject:
“Anyone killed or martyred is to be called a civilian from Gaza or Palestine, before we talk about his status in jihad or his military rank. Don’t forget to always add ‘innocent civilian’ or ‘innocent citizen’ in your description of those killed in Israeli attacks on Gaza.”
() “For Operation Protective Edge, the only data published so far comes from the health ministry in Gaza. This ministry is run by Hamas, therefore rendering the number of casualties and injuries it reports more than unreliable…” Thanks international media for telling us that the unbiased Hamas were the ones reporting the numbers. And they would be as truthful as they’ve been in publishing other false information, like fake photos and photos taken from movie scenes.
(2) “The authorities in Gaza generally count every young man who did not wear a uniform as a civilian — even if he was involved in terrorist activity and was therefore considered by the IDF a legitimate target…” Thanks for mentioning this BBC, considering many militants don’t wear uniform and pretend to be civilians….
“…as Patrick Martin noted in the Globe and Mail during the battle for Shejaiya, some gunmen “bore their weapons openly, slung over their shoulder, but two, disguised as women, were seen walking off with weapons partly concealed under their robes. Another had his weapon wrapped in a blanket and held on his chest as if it were a baby.”
(3) They’ve lied before “After Israel’s 2008-9 Operation Cast Lead, many pro-Palestinian activists were outraged over the high number of innocent Palestinians killed. Palestinian sources, widely cited including by the UN, reported 1,444 casualties, of whom 314 were children. Israel, on the other hand, said that 1,166 Gazans were killed — 709 of them were “Hamas terror operatives”, 295 were “uninvolved Palestinians,” while the remaining 162 were “men that have not yet been attributed to any organization.” It put the number of children (under 16-years-old) killed at 89.”